Monday, April 5, 2010

Braxton Hicks

I have been having a lot of Braxton Hicks Contractions. At this point, they do not hurt at all. In fact, I kinda like them because it's like flexing a huge muscle without any effort. All of a sudden, all or part of my huge belly will become as hard as a rock. Its pretty weird when it is just a small section that protrudes out from the rest.

When I was pregnant with Maylee, I'm sure I had these to some degree, but I don't remember them at all. They say 2nd time moms are more aware of them. They were a little new to me with this pregnancy too. I think I've been having them for quite a while, but I thought they were kicks and movement from Gabriel, but now I can really tell the difference. His movements are softer and more fluttery than the braxton hicks. It really is interesting how much more aware of my body and baby's movements I am this go round than I was with Maylee (even though it was seven years ago).

My doctor's appt. on Friday went well. She measured my uterus at 33. This is like being 33 weeks pregnant rather than the 31 I was. Then, you need to factor that baby is about 1 lb. smaller than he should be, so that extra weight/ size is being taken up by amniotic fluid. Healthy babies drink the fluid to accustom their organs to eating (sucking, swallowing, stomach, bladder and kidneys). We could see his stomach at the last ultrasound for the first time, so that means he's eating a little something, but not much.

If my uterus gets to a measurement of 40 or more, then I need to decide one of three options 1. Induce Labor, 2. Remove some fluid (like amniocentesis; a needle through my belly) or 3. Wait it out. Precautions with waiting it out are 1. If my uterus get overextended, it will not work correctly or at all when I go into labor, 2. Since I had a Caesarian last time, there is a concern that my scar may tear from the pressure.

At the last ultrasound, Gabriel was head down, but he is so tiny and there is a lot of fluid, so he still has a lot of room to move around. This could be good or bad. If I go into labor and he is breach, they can try an aversion (Turning him from the outside of my belly, which we tried and failed with Maylee, but since he is tiny and there is a lot of fluid, there is a better chance of it being successful). If my water breaks, there is no opportunity to try and turn him and I would have to deliver a breach baby.

I still love feeling his little kicks just letting me know he's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment