Tuesday, May 4, 2010

LABOR?????

I thought I was in labor Sunday night. I woke up about 10:30 PM and had cramps. They got repetitively worse and seemed to be the right timing to be labor pains. Although I've had a ton of Braxton Hicks Contractions, I have not had this type of "menstrual cramping" since I was pregnant, so I thought for sure this was it...

With Maylee, I had no labor pains, just a Cesarean because she was breach at 39 weeks, so I'm a first time mom when it comes to recognizing the signs.

I tried to wait as long as I could until 11:30 Pm and then I woke up Todd. He got the doctor's number for me and I packed my make-up bag. I was about to call my parents to come over and watch Maylee and I thought I would wait just a little longer and then they stopped... I slept comfortably through the night. Weird. At this point, I hadn't felt Gabriel kick for about two days, so I thought something was wrong, so I made an appointment to see my doctor on Monday.

Dr. Haugen said I am not dilated at all. The cramping is probably just more Braxton Hicks- the uterus practicing and getting ready, but there is nothing that leads us to conclude that I'm ready to deliver at this point... Gabriel still had a heart beat too. It is so hard to gear up and think, OK, this is it, but then find out that you could still be waiting another 4-6 weeks. My doctor mentioned that some women go two weeks past their due date which is still an option with me; not likely, but it could...

My uterus measured 36 two weeks ago and on Monday, I was still at 36. I haven't gained any weight in the last two weeks either, so everything seems to be on hold...

Todd suggested that maybe we should induce on May 19th, so I would have Gabriel before he leaves for the academy. For planning purposes, that makes sense, but I'm nervous that induced labors are harder on mom and baby... I'd love some prayers for labor to occur on its own before that date. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Labor can be scary but you can do anything especially with an epidural. Praying that Gabriel comes right at the right time and that you'll have everything you need to get through it. Bug hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Definitely planning on an epidural. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What!, no natural labor? I thought you wanted to experience the WHOLE labor process. Just kidding, you will definitely experience the whole process with an epidural. Have you considered an entrathecal? I went that route with all my boys and was able to get up and walk around and then when it was time to push, I could feel the contractions... Just something to think about. I will be praying for Gabriel's timing to be before the 19th. Hang in there... How are your ankles? I saw Maylee at school last week while I was subbing and she asked about coming over to play. Is there a day in your weekly schedule that would be a good fit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are experiencing so much while Gabriel is with you. Thank you for choosing life for him. I'm praying for labor to begin on its own in the near future. When Maylee and I prayed for the while family tonight. She said, "Dear God, please teach Gabriel everything he needs to know to be a good kid like me." She is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete